Thursday, March 7, 2019

Tea for the Tillerman

Two diverse objects found in a French brocante. I can't resist brass, and the tea urn was a lovely large surface to paint. I associated the two, and put in a  lemon for a bright link and reflection.
First off, I scribbled in some undercolours with pencils and hard pastels.

Based on the undercoat, I chose a selection of pastels that would be the main workhorses for the next phase. As you might be able to make out, it's a varied range of ochres, yellows, and umbers, and draws from Artisan Pastellier, Blue Mountain (the square ones), Sennelier, Rembrandt and a few Caran d'Ache. You can make out a colour reference  on top.

Working from the top left, I started with the urn.

First overcoat on the lemon.

The lemon is large and bright, so  I needed to check its value and chroma against the mooted background colour (Sennelier dark greens 178 and 179). Also the light green in the lamp.

The lemon was too light in value overall, so that needed adjustment.

The background was completed, with a contrasting dark for the surface on which the objects were placed. Reflections were painted in, and this is when I realised I had a painting 42 cm wide by 48 cm high, with a lot of empty space on top. So I took off 6 cm from the top to make it square.

Tea for the Tillerman © Niall O'Neill

No comments:

Post a Comment